“Why the heck would anyone want to be moving to Canton? Isn’t that, like, farmland in the middle of nowhere?”
The good thing about the metro Atlanta area is that it’s huge and there are plenty of places with totally different personalities to choose from. The bad thing about the metro Atlanta area is that it’s huge and there are plenty of places with totally different personalities to choose from! So how do you narrow it down? Let me tell you 10 reasons why moving to Canton is a great idea!
- You get a LOT of house for the money in Canton. Compared to Alpharetta, Roswell, Marietta, or anywhere ITP (inside the perimeter of I-285, which runs around downtown Atlanta in the shape of a horseshoe. If you live inside the perimeter, you can pretty much add $100,000 or more to your house price. If you live outside the perimeter, or OTP, your money goes much farther in exchange for living farther from downtown.
- You can live out in the country and drive by horses and cows on the way to work. If you like the idea of living in a pastoral setting but don’t want to be in the middle of nowhere, there are many areas of Canton that would fit that bill perfectly. I live in a subdivision that’s less than a mile from two grocery stores, yet there are farms all around us. I love that!
- You can live close to super-cool Alpharetta without paying the high price for a home. I showed townhomes in Alpharetta today to a first time buyer. A 1400 sq ft townhouse starts at $200,000 for something nice. Canton is only 20 minutes away but your house budget will go much farther.
- Canton is very family friendly. There are terrific parks, Lake Allatoona has some beaches for swimming, lots of great restaurants, plenty of shopping, and fun events like Easter Egg Hunts or BBQ festivals.
- The schools are great! Overall the schools in the Cherokee County School District get really good ratings. I have no qualms about sending my children to the public schools here, whereas other metro Atlanta cities are not so lucky.
- Cherokee County taxes are some of the lowest in the entire state. ‘Nuff said.
- Low crime. Feel free to call the local police department in any city and tell them where you’re house hunting. They’ll often give you some great advice on areas of town to avoid. I honestly can’t think of any areas of Canton that I would consider sketchy.
- Low cost of living. Low taxes and low house prices contribute considerably to your quality of life.
- Tons to do here or within an easy drive. It’s a 4 hour drive to Savannah and Tybee Island, about 5 hours to Hilton Head, and about 3 1/2 hours to Pigeon Forge, TN. (I’ve made all these drives and as long as you head out before rush hour they’re no big deal.) There are zip lines, the Blue Ridge Mountains, rivers where you can go tubing or fishing, plenty of lakes for boating, and more food festivals all around Atlanta than I could possibly count.
- You can easily get your culture fix by going into the city. My husband and I got a babysitter for our anniversary and went to a concert at the Fox Theater. It was fun to go into the city for the evening and then leave the traffic and noise behind.
Check out this newly built house in Canton and see what you can get for the money here!
So there are 10 reasons why moving to Canton is a great idea! Got any more ideals? Let’s hear ’em!
About the Author: The above article Moving to Canton? 10 Reasons Why You Should was written and provided by Karin Carr. Karin has helped literally helped more than 200 families buy and sell homes since 2005. If you are in the market to BUY or SELL a home in either the metro Atlanta area OR Savannah, she can be reached via email at [email protected] or by phone at 912-417-9706.
Are you thinking of selling your home? I’m very good at marketing homes to sell quickly, and for more money. If you’re a first-time home buyer then you’ll be in good hands. I’ve helped countless first-time home buyers through the entire process of buying that first home! I have a real passion for helping folks buy and sell homes here in the great state of Georgia and I would love to connect with you!
Now serving metro Atlanta AND Savannah!